Saturday, July 13, 2013

Francis and the Story that Changed his Life

This is a lovely, not often seen,  view into my mind and the places it wanders. I hope you enjoy.
Francis and the Wonderful Story

The story of a woman who loves nothing and the boy who convinced her otherwise.
                
          One day as poor, lonely Myrna was  meandering down the lane, in search of a stray cat, she happened upon a boy, well I guess you could call him a man if you really wanted to. He was plopped there, on a bench, reading a work of fiction. I happen to not recall this novel; however, for this particular story, which is not about Francis’s reading habits, it is not necessary. Myrna shuffled to a stop directly in front of him, staring at this peculiar boy.  
He slowly raised his head, and with a questioning yet mischievous look in his eyes, he inquired, “May I help you, ma’am?”  
She then continued to stare, but answered, “What is your name, dear child?”
“Francis…, why do you ask?”
“Oh no reason, you just looked like someone I knew once.”
“Uhh Okay.”
“You may call me Myrna if you would like. Would you care to join me for some tea?”
“I guess, if you really want to”
Francis then stood up and followed Myrna to the sidewalk. They proceeded to the coffee shop that was near the park. As they walked in, Myrna requested that Francis go acquire two cups of tea, and Francis turned to leave. A few minutes later, he returned with the steaming cups of tea. He then looked around, noticing the high arch of the ceiling and the floral wall paper, and realized how truly beautiful the building was. Myrna cleared her throat, bringing Francis back to reality.
She then spoke, “I bet you probably just think I’m some strange old bird, inviting some random person to do something with me; however, if you would like to hear it, I would like to tell you a story.”
Francis replied, “I would love to hear a story.”
She began, “Once, there was a young girl. She dreamed of being in love. Of that lovely, mushy feeling one would feel in their heart. Then, she met a boy. And not just any boy, a marine. Those two fell madly in love, and wed on a warm night in July. Oh, it really was a gorgeous wedding, lots of candles, family, and good food. She became pregnant, and they had a baby girl. She was the best thing that had ever happened to either of them, a smart, pretty girl who all the boys were after. She had a real good future. Then, when the girl was fifteen, her momma had another baby, a little boy who was as cute as he was ornery. When the little boy was two, his daddy got sent over-seas. He fought good and hard, but it wasn't enough. Their daddy never came home, leaving his wife with the little money they had and two growing children to take care of. Losing her true love broke the poor woman’s heart, and she became bitter and depressed, confining herself to her room for days, eating nothing, and leaving the poor girl to take care of her little brother. As soon as the girl was old enough, she got married and moved away. Her momma had no idea where she went. The poor boy was left to take care of himself at age five. His mother realized he couldn't  so, in a trance, she would cook and clean and take him to school, yet she never really extended any love to him. When he was seventeen, he followed in his daddy’s footsteps and joined the marines. Their momma just wasted away, always drinking. One day her heart hardened and she no longer cared. She went through the motions and acted like everything was fine. She was lonely, but she survived.”
Myrna then stopped talking, a tear rolling down her cheek. Francis sat there, stunned to silence.
He composed himself and asked, “Was… was that you?”
“Yes, it was. I thought you wouldn't mind hearing it.”
“Of course not, but… Your son. Do you ever hear from him?”
“Not since he was seventeen and riding off in a train.”
“I- I think that I’m your son,” Francis said, stuttering.
Myrna then looked up suddenly, and gasped. She sat there, staring at him.
She answered, “You still look the same, that’s why I was so shocked at the park. I thought you had an uncanny resemblance to him”
“I’ve been looking for you. Ever since I came back from the marines. I went back to our old house, but everything was gone. I was afraid- afraid you had died. But here you are, sitting across the table from me.”
Myrna stood up and whispered, “I have missed you so much.”

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment